Wednesday 17 July 2013

Yoga Mat and Tattoo Etiquette in India

The Yoga Mat:

A fellow yogi shared a story with me while we were walking around Gokalum:

A Western girl brought a colorful mat into one of the yoga centers in Mysore, India. When she unrolled her mat, there was a printed picture of Ganesh from top to bottom...she came to Tadasana to begin her practice. The teacher in the Shala told her to stop and said she could not practice on that mat because she was stepping on his God. After much deliberation, my friend finally told her to use another mat so they could continue with the class. Apparently, the girl didn't understand what was wrong with her mat.

It seems like common sense, but for most Westerners there's been a wide divide between Yoga and the rich influence of Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Tantra traditions that have all played a role to bring us these poses that we're practicing. Perhaps you have yogi toes with a small Buddha at the top. Maybe Sanskrit or the Chakras down the middle of your mat. I've seen elegantly painted pictures of Hindu Gods and Goddesses...even the Dalai Lama. While these decorations are beautiful, they're not appropriate, especially while practicing in India.

Suggestion: Don't bring these mats or yogi toes to India. You'll end up offending someone. If you must keep your mat, perhaps hang it in your practice space for adoration, not something to step on.

Tattoos:

I have an Om tattoo...but luckily I had certain friends that were very persistent on the appropriate placement of such a tattoo. They told me that anywhere above the waist is okay if I must get one. You can't see mine unless I take off my shirt, and I won't be doing that in India any time soon. I even practice with a full length top. However, if you have an Om symbol or any religious tattoo below the waist or on the foot, I would try to cover it up. There's one female who wears what looks like an ankle brace when she practices and walks around town. One day I asked her in the dressing room if she had an injury and she showed me her Om symbol right above her ankle...that's why she wears it. She also told me that she doesn't regret getting the tattoo there, but out of respect for the majority of the population here in Mysore, she covers it up. And I think that's fair.
   

3 comments:

  1. Just religious tattoos? Or have you seen any other practitioners needing to cover up tattoos in general? Would appreciate asking if you can. One of my legs is loud -- with nature! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Natasha,

    This is just for religious tattoos...there's many people here who have full length tattoos of flowers, landscapes, people, etc. and it's no biggy. However, the older women find my friend with the full sleeve tattoo pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for another wonderful post. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? capri workout pants

    ReplyDelete