Sunday 7 July 2013

Before Arriving in Mysore, India

Many of you have asked me to start an informational blog about my trip to Mysore, India to practice at KPJAYI. I will attempt to prepare whoever reads this as well as my teacher prepared me.

Around January 2013, I decided I wanted to travel and study at KPJAYI. I read the KPJAYI website (kpjayi.org) in its entirety realizing the the very first thing I needed to obtain was my Indian Visa. It was a fairly simple process through the Travisa Outsourcing website (https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/homepage). The whole process took three weeks. Make sure you register for a "Tourist Visa", not a "Student Visa". And yes, you will have to send them your passport! Don't worry, they'll send it back. Total cost: $75.00.

After I received my visa I registered on the KPJAYI website, following the 2-4 month rule. I sent in my registration on March 21st for a July 8th start date for Saraswathi's classes. I actually received confirmation on March 22nd. I don't think that's the standard response time...maybe I had beginners luck. I also heard that it was easier to get into Saraswathi classes.

After all that was completed, I had to save and find a reasonable plane ticket. After teaching a gazillion yoga classes/privates and not doing so bad on my tax return, I was able to afford the most expensive part of the trip. I decided to fly straight into Bangalore (BLR) from Frankfurt (FRA) so I didn't have to make an additional stop in India.

In April, I made a reservation at the Mysore Urban Oasis. This place came on a high recommendation from my Ashtanga teacher in Wilmington, NC. You can either email them directly or reserve online (if you reserve too early, it may not be available. I reserved by emailing them directly). There's a special price for people who stay over a month which isn't listed on the website. It's advised you book for 10 days and then reserve the additional time you're staying upon arrival. They will send you a confirmation email asking for a wire transfer. I know my teacher just paid them when he arrived. You are able to do either option. Total cost for one month: 25,000 Rps or $500.00 for the whole month. A little more expensive, but there's always power, hot water, cable TV, free wi-fi, free breakfast and 24 hour security. Bottled water is available for you as well! For my first trip, it was well worth the expense. Next year I may rent an apartment or house to share with fellow yogis.

And the shots - at the beginning of June I received the typhoid and yellow fever vaccinations. I know we're all yogis and there's debate behind the whole validity of vaccinations, but from someone who's been to multiple third world countries: get the freakin' vaccinations! There's also a whole list of shots you will probably need such as hepatitis, tetanus, etc. I had the privilege of being thoroughly vaccinated throughout my Army career, so I didn't have to get a whole bunch. You will also receive a yellow card to take with you stating that you have received the yellow fever vaccination in case you're asked to present this at the airport.  I also spoke with my primary care physician. I didn't need Malaria pills in South India, but he gave me a bunch of antibiotics and stuff to ease the stomach in case I came into contact with some nasty bacteria. Whatever the case may be...talk to your doctor before going. My American friend across the hall decided to take malaria pills, so the choice may be yours.

The first week in June I reserved for someone to pick me up from the BLR Airport to Mysore. I reserved through Krishna Murthy on the KPJAYI website.  It's a three hour car ride. Total cost: 2,400 Rps or $50.00. I searched around and he was the cheapest one.

One week prior to hopping on the plane: I re-confirmed my hotel reservation and re-confirmed my pick-up at the airport.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment