Thursday 11 July 2013

The Devaraja Market, Cauvery Emporium and Anokhi's Garden

The Market

The Devaraja Market is beautiful...flowers, coconuts, spices, fruits and vegetables line the streets. I've been twice now and find that the afternoons are really busy. It's best to go mid-morning. Of course there will be venders yelling at you to get your attention and spend money. Unless you really want to buy something, I would avoid eye contact and keep walking. Being the polite, smiling, waving American doesn't really work in these places. The word "no" or "no, thank you" doesn't hold much value, but ignoring them does.

If you're going to bring a bag or purse with you, buy one of those bags that you can drape over your shoulder and can hold it in front of you. Backpacks do not work. Before I left, I bought a $50.00 bag from REI. It's a black, over the shoulder, anti-theft bag that had secure zipper locks and mesh wiring inside in case someone tries to cut your bag open from the bottom. It's been a good investment thus far. It also has some sort of layer that prevents stolen information from iPhones and credit cards.

I had a friend of mine wearing a backpack and kneeling down to buy some old coins from a street vendor. I went inside the shop next door. When I came out of the shop two minutes later, two men were hovering over my friend, who was still bargaining with the street vendor. I walked over to her and re-zipped up the back of her bag where her wallet was exposed. I then yelled at the men and they walked off. It can happen that fast. If you need to take a backpack with you, carry it in front.

Also, if you're a female, don't be surprised if someone tries to touch you inappropriately, especially if the market is busy. You don't want it to happen, but don't have a nervous breakdown if it does.

The Cauvery Emporium (please note, this is Cauvery spelled with a "C" not a "K". There's another store that sells cheaper products and it's spelled with a "K".You do not want to go to this store).

A few blocks down the street from the market is the Cauvery Emporium. It's a government owned store with jewelry, sandalwood, beautiful fabrics, sari's, etc...We went shopping there with a friend who has an Indian wife. He bought her a few Sari's and the colors are extraordinary. You cannot bargain here and the prices are a little higher, but they have quality items! Tell your rickshaw driver it's on Sayyaji Road.

Anokhi's Garden

Tired of Indian food? Anokhi's Garden is owned by a French couple on Contour Road (just before the Piles and Proctology Hospital). Fantastic food to include eggs, toast, pancakes, pressed coffee, etc...I had chai, chocolate crepes with bananas and cinnamon! They're open Thursday to Sunday from 0800-12:30 for breakfast and lunch. The owner Marie has some great recommendations and business cards for just about anything you're looking for!

A quick note about the practice:

I'm still trying to get down the rhythm of things in the Shala. I know Saraswathi wants to adjust me in Mari D and Kurmasana, but the question is how long do I wait? Sometimes you wait considerable amounts of time before she can get to you, which is understandable. I did Mari D three times today before she waved me on because she was so busy. I held Kurmasana for a while too, but since I cannot make eye contact, I continued with the rest of the series after about 20 breaths. By the time I got to backbends, I waited for her to assist with drop-backs. All the way from accross the room she yells,

"What you did? You did Kurmasana?"

Me: "Yes"

"You catch?"

Me: I shake my head no.

She points her finger at me and says, "You wait next time!"

Of course, there's a little chuckle from my friends in the Shala. It's actually not demeaning like it probably sounds, she does it like a mother would. After only a few days of practice with her she knows what you need. So...I will wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment